Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Warm Place

Tonight I was driving home from school, and one of my favorite songs by Nine Inch Nails came on. The song is called A Warm Place, and I listened to it quite often in high school, often in the darkness of my bedroom late at night. On repeat. Always on repeat.

This song has been on my iPod for as long as I've owned it, yet I haven't heard it in years. But as I listened to it tonight, every note felt like it was an integral part of me - still, after all these years. Maybe it was the fact that I was in the quiet library on campus earlier tonight, which reminded me of (different) times past. Maybe it was because I walked out of the library, and all I could see was the grass half lit up by nearby lamp posts, and all I could hear was silence. For whatever reason, hearing "A Warm Place" again made the entire world stop moving for me, even as I kept driving.

I can so distinctly remember myself as an angsty 16 year old, listening to this song in the dark of night. I wonder what happened to her. Maybe she's been here all along and just needed a song to evoke her.

4 comments:

Nanette said...

I wasn't familiar with that song, so thanks for introducing it to me. It's definitely warming. And I can see how it'd be appealing to an angsty 16-year-old.

weezermonkey said...

w00t for NIN.

amber said...

i love how a song can jog memories and feelings that have long since been buried. i'll have to take a listen to the song.

Anonymous said...

I love finding songs again from those days. Amazing the feelings the bring about.
~Melinda