Friday, November 16, 2007

Going Once, Going Twice....

Today was proof that you really can have fun at work - and with a bunch of attorneys, no less! We had organized a Harvest Festival (potluck) and Silent Auction to help raise money for a needy family. The amazing Myra was named the official auctioneer, and going with the silent auction theme, she dressed up as a mime.



Of course, we had to mime our trapped in a box spiel, but as Beans, the king of fleas, pointed out, we only succeeded in looking like Charlie's Angels on crack.



Before the festivites began, Myra sent out a bulk email to the entire department reminding us of various logistical factors. She put her legal education to good use by including some fine print at the bottom of the email: This is not a/an [company name] sponsored event. [Company name] assumes no responsibility or liability for any claims that may arise out of or in relation to this event. All items being auctioned are donations. All donors waive any right or claim to title in the donated items. All auctioned items are provided “as is” with no warranty.

We set up the items for auction in our huge conference room, and the food was in our smaller conference rooms. Once we got done eating, a select few of us hovered around the items, guarding the ones we wanted. The one I wanted most was Darth Tater, which was brought in by Beans.



I had also bid on several other items that caught my eye, like a Star Wars Monopoly set, Battleship, some Mary Kay hand treatment, and a spice rack. (As if I needed more stuff!)

This was one of the hot items:



While all this was going on, my direct supervisor Pete and I began having a conversation about how clowns creep me out. There were several clown dolls up for auction, and of course, because clowns are scary, no one had bid on them. Pete began talking to me in a scary clown voice, and I found it quite amusing. I think it was because he saw this picture of me:



Whatever the case, I ended up with Darth Tater and a few other items. Pete laughingly bought one of the clown dolls for me, and I grudgingly accepted it. He then proceeded to buy the rest of the clown dolls when I wasn't looking and put them in various places in my office to surprise me when I got back.





Yes, that last clown doll is hanging upside down.

All in all we raised $275.90 for our needy family, not to mention all the food items that were donated throughout the week.

And I ended up with some cool stuff, all in the name of charity.



Happy early Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

weezermonkey said...

I hope our tater sees this. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of the fun you have in your office. You are so lucky to have actual friends at your workpace.

~The worm

kim said...

I bet you can guess what I would have bid on. :)

Angie Eats Peace said...

Clowns scare the shit out of me!

That's awesome that all that money was raised!

Brandy said...

clowns freak.me.out. I'll have to share my haunted house filled w/clowns stories one day.

amber said...

love the darth tater. so cute!

and i love that your company sponsored this type of event. very cool indeed.