Saturday, October 13, 2007

Saturday Fun with my Sister

Okay, Mandy's not my real sister - she's actually Roy's sister, but we've developed quite the bond in the time that Roy and I have been together. I love hanging out with her. Today we took a cookie decorating class together in anticipation of baking for the holiday season. Our instructor provided us with naked cookies and taught us how to ice them.



It was really easy and fun. The most time-consuming part of the process was filling in the main color of icing. The instructor taught us how to make cool patterns in the icing using a toothpick. She also showed us how to make a cookie bouquet using a flower pot and florist foam. The cookie bouquet would make such a nice holiday gift. I may attempt it if I'm not too busy with school and other things.

Here's my finished product:



This one was my favorite. I used yellow icing to decorate the cookie and then added a gratuitous amount of orange icing. Then I used the toothpick to swirl the orange icing and came up with some fab cookie art.



After class we grabbed some lunch at Joe's Crab Shack and then went shopping at Victoria Gardens. I discovered the wonderful world of Urban Outfitters. I wasn't a big fan of their clothes, but I loved all the kitschy stuff they had in the store. I found a birthday present for my brother and a shirt for myself.

Then we ended our day together, and I came home to Roy. We've discovered Heroes. Roy and I aren't "normal" TV watchers. We don't keep up with shows as they come on because we have never had cable TV (and I also hate commercials). Instead, we wait for the shows to come out on DVD and watch one episode after another. TV shows on DVD is the best invention ever, I swear. Luckily, Roy and I are equally obsessed.

Anyway, as I said, Heroes is our new obsession for the moment. It's an incredibly fun and well-written show with all the touches of myth and epic that I so love in a work of art. Yep, I do believe that TV (certain shows) can be classified as works of art. And Heroes, so far, is one of those.

4 comments:

weezermonkey said...

You've *just* discovered Urban Outfitters and Heroes?! Poor girl. ;)

Cool cookies!

Angie Eats Peace said...

Love the cookies, where did you take the class at?
I know they have some craft classes at Michael's and Beverly Craft, Mario wants to take them, that's how I know.

kim said...

Very cool cookies. Wishing I had an oven up in hurrr...

Nanette said...

I loooove the cookies, too! It sounds like your cookie decorating class was much better than the crappy class that turned out to be a demonstration that I attended at William Sonoma recently.