Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Our Wedding Video

When we were planning our wedding, we didn't budget for a videographer. About 6 months before the wedding, I realized that it was important for us to have some sort of video. So I did the tiniest amount of research possible, met with one videographer, and booked him. We really didn't want (or couldn't afford, rather) all the bells and whistles, so we just asked for the raw footage. We did pay to have the video in DVD format though.

Our wedding video was ready 3 weeks after the wedding, as promised. I was a bit surprised that they did do some minor editing to it. It ended up being about an hour long and fit onto 1 DVD. There were a whole slew of problems with it. The ones that bugged me the most were 1) we couldn't hear our vows no matter how loud the volume on the TV was, and 2) the audio and video weren't synched, so almost our whole wedding video looked like some cheesy kung fu movie. So I emailed the videographer that same night and told him about the issues (2 of which I haven't mentioned, might I add). A couple of days later, he emailed me and told me that a new video was on its way to me. This was around August 21.

After about 3 weeks of receiving nothing in the mail, I emailed the videographer and then called him when I didn't get an answer. I sent him several emails asking if I could get a tracking number for the package so I could find out where it was. Finally, after not getting any satisfactory responses, I sent the following email:

Hello Idiot Videographer,

Since we have yet to receive our video or a detailed explanation from you, we have decided to pursue another course of action. We see no reason why we should not have been provided with our revised video (or at least an explanation or tracking number) by now, considering you confirmed through email in late August that you had mailed us a revised video.

For that reason, if we have not received our video from you by Friday, October 5, 2007, we will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

The following is a list of corrections you promised to make in the revised video, pursuant to the guarantee you made when we met with you and paid you our deposit for your services:

1) Not being able to hear our vows,
2) Audio and video being out of sync,
3) No footage of venue/guests arriving, and
4) Correction of name from "_____" to "______" on the video.

You also confirmed by telephone on July 13, 2007, that you would provide us with all of the footage (tapes) from our wedding if we wanted them, and we expect to receive that in addition to the revised video.

If you have already sent us the package with the video and all the footage (tapes), you need to provide me with a tracking number and the address to which you mailed the video, as I have previously requested several times, so that I may track the package. If you have not sent us the package yet, we are happy to meet with you in your office to pick it up.

It is unfortunate and unacceptable for us that we have paid you in full for the services you promised and that we have no idea of the status of our video. We would like to remind you that we have access to literally thousands of brides through www.theknot.com and www.projectwedding.com. We would like to be able to have something positive to say about our experience with you. We’re sure you would like that as well, as many of your potential future brides will be relying on these websites in their search for vendors.

Once again, we are asking you to provide us with the revised video and complete footage as promised by or before Friday, October 5, 2007. Otherwise, we will have no choice but to get the Better Business Bureau involved. We will be in touch with you by phone on this matter.

Thank you,
Roy and Leslie _______


That was all it took, and we got our video in last week (before the deadline we gave him). (I included my email because I'm proud of it and just feeling like tooting my own horn.) However, idiot videographer didn't include the tapes as he told us he would. When Roy called him about it, idiot videographer told him that he would mail them out on Friday (October 5) and that we should receive them on Monday. No tapes today. So if I don't get any tapes by the end of the week, idiot videographer is getting another threatening email.

But I did watch the video tonight. They improved it very much, which I'm happy about. However, I still don't think I can give them a good review. I actually don't really trust them anymore, which is why I want the tapes. In the future, if we have the money, I might want to get a really good videographer to edit the tapes and make us an awesome video.

I guess that it's true that you get what you pay for. Sometimes. Honestly, we just didn't have the money to hire a really reputable videographer. But I could've done more research. I was just extremely lazy about it, and I was already tired then of dealing with vendor meetings, etc. However, I refuse to take the blame for this, as it's not my fault. It's my idiot videographer's fault for providing his customers with a shitty product and not communicating well.

Despite the drama, it was nice seeing our video. I cried at all the appropriate times. I also realized (once again!) how much of a spaz I am. I never realized how often I give a thumbs up. I also never realized how much cleavage I had on our wedding day. There were times when it looked downright...well, ample.

Let's just all keep our fingers crossed that idiot videographer will finally give us our damn footage so we can close the book on this one. Frankly, I grow tired of dealing with idiots. I am also more than ready to put all kinds of wedding drama behind me.

2 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Boo! I'm sorry to hear this! However, on the bright side, you do have footage. My friend's videographer DIDN'T EVEN SHOW UP! :P

Angie Eats Peace said...

Hooray for assertiveness, spazism, thumbs up and cleavage!