Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Breakthrough!

Last night, our little orange goddess finally came out of her shell. She'd spent most of her time hiding behind a chair or in a magazine rack or under our clawfoot bathtub. (Sometimes she'd reluctantly let us hold her, but only if we could catch her.) I guess yesterday she'd had enough of that hiding game, so she was out and about when I got home from class. I sat down to eat a salad and pita bread, and the next thing I knew, I saw her staring up at me.



I held out my hand to her, and she immediately began licking my fingers. (Apparently she liked the salad dressing quite a bit!) I then picked her up and was delighted to hear her purring. She didn't leave my side all night. We watched TV together, and we let her sleep with us. (We won't be making a habit out of letting her sleep with us at night. As soon as the other two are more comfortable with her, she'll be staying with them in the bathroom every night.)

It was very strange sleeping with such a small creature. I woke up probably at least once an hour to make sure she was still breathing. I have to admit that it was so wonderful waking up to that little orange face. She's pretty dang cute. I had forgotten how much I love kittens.

We still haven't named her, but I know it will come to us.

15 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh my, she is SUPER cute. She makes me want to add another kitten to our household, but somehow I know Zoomie will not agree with that :D Keep the pictures coming, she is such a cute one!

Brenda said...

Oh yea, and I'm glad to hear she's finally opening up.

weezermonkey said...

She's the color of marmalade!

inflammatory writ said...

so adorable.

How did you get your cats to sleep in the bathroom? Or any other room, for that matter? My kitties are in bed with me and hubs, which is all well and good until we want "alone" time or not to be woken for food at 6 am!!!

Leslie said...

Kari - We just started putting their food and water dishes in the bathroom at night. Their litterbox is already in there, so they are used to spending time there. Now they are so adjusted that they go into the bathroom on their own once we put their dishes in there.

I'd love to have them sleep with us, but one of them acts up starting around 4 AM. It just wasn't going to fly. For a long time we just shut our bedroom door, and then they scratched up the carpet outside the door.

Keeping them in the bathroom is the safest bet.

amber said...

what a little cutie pie!

Claire said...

Awww, precious! How about naming her after some kind of orange citrus fruit? Clementine, Tangelo, Satsuma?

Amy said...

So very cute. I'm glad she's opening up.

phairhead said...

aww kitty cat. she looks like "Dickens"

Becki said...

What a sweetie - there's no way to resist that face!

Leslie said...

Claire - we've actually considered Clementine! You never know!

alyssa said...

Oh, I LOVE kittens!!!!! She is adorable!

Angie Eats Peace said...

You know my feelings on cats, but that, is a cute face!

Number one said...

Oh my she's adorable. That face just kills me.

Erika said...

too cute kitty.....:D