Friday, August 31, 2007

10 years later...

Princess Diana died 10 years ago today. It was an important enough moment for me to remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.

I was 18 years old and had finished my shift at the greasy spoon that was my first job. My boyfriend Roger and I went over to my coworker Melissa's house. We sat outside with her and her husband David, playing a game of dominos called Mexican Train (a very fun game). The night was hot and humid and seemed like a typical Texas night. We were listening to the radio and were shocked to hear about the death of Princess Diana. I didn't cry or anything, but I remember thinking how sad and unexpected it was.

I didn't know much about Princess Diana, yet I was appalled at the circumstances surrounding the car accident that killed her and saddened by her death. She was enough of a media figure to warrant great amounts of sympathy and sadness from those who didn't even know her. To me, she was the epitome of grace and class. Even while surrounded by the constant media circus, she always handled herself well and in a respectful manner. She actually was more than just a media figure: she was a human being. Interestingly enough, the truth behind her character and her life is still pursued by others. Sometimes it's best to let people have their private places. An argument could be made that it was a lack of respect for her privacy that led to her death.

I just can't believe it's been 10 years already. Time goes by so fast. Before you know it, the people that have had an impact on your life have slipped out of it, and not just by reasons of death. Thinking back on the death of Princess Di makes me want to hold onto those I love a little tighter, enjoying them a little more. You never know when someone you love will be gone.

1 comment:

kim said...

I remember exactly what I was doing, too. Remind me to tell you about it when I see you next. :)